Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has mucus in her nose and sneezes quite often she's

Customer Question
She has green mucus...

She has green mucus in her nose and sneezes quite often she's about 3 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Snowball

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snowball?

She's an outdoor cat a stray

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It sounds like she has an upper respiratory infection. These usually start off as a virus, either herpes or calici. They often turn into a secondary bacterial infection, which that sounds like the case now. She really needs to be on an antibiotic at the very least. If you can get her to a vet, they can give her an injection that will last 2 weeks, called Convenia. That should help to get these symptoms under control. Putting her on L-lysine 250 mg twice daily with food may help as well. You can find this over the counter, but your vet should have something that is more palatable for cats. Usually a flavored paste. Putting her in a bathroom with the shower on hot for 15 minutes a couple of times a day will help to break up some of the congestion. I realize it may be difficult to get a lot of this done if she is a stray cat. If you can get her into the vet, it would be best for them to test her for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS. That could be affecting her immune system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Snowball is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian