Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have an older cat who is horribly congested. It's been…

Customer Question
We have an older...

We have an older cat who is horribly congested. It's been going on a long time. We've tried several antibiotics, some of which seem to help, but then it wears off. Mucous is yellow/green. Just want to find some kind of decongestant to see if it helps her quality of life. This is a chronic problem for her. She's been FIV+ since we got her at 4 months old; she's 16 now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Simone

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Simone. These chronic "snufflers" can be a challenge, and difficult to clear up. The antibiotic Zenaquin, used daily for 4 days then twice a week for a long time (months or longer) can be helpful.

Nose drops for children into her nostrils might help. You can try "Little Noses", which are saline. Drops with 1/4% phenylephrine may help.

Sometimes I try using eye drops as nose drops, such as Neo/Poly + Dex ophthalmic drops (1-2 drops in each nostril 3-4 X day). This is a prescription you could get from your veterinarian.

The prescription drug called Accolate helps some cats.

The over the counter drug Mucinex is not recommended for cats.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

How is your cat? Was my answer helpful? I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Kindly consider rating my answer (smiley faces or stars) if this helped!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian