Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He just got fixed when we picked him up he had black stuff…

Customer Question
He just got fixed...

He just got fixed when we picked him up he had black stuff around and in his nose then white crusty stuff below his nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Eli and he is 5 months old and blond

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eli?

He was fine before he went to the vet and he has had all his shots and chiped

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. When was Eli neutered? Is he feeling ok or is he having symptoms of a respiratory infection. The crusting around his nose may be normal.

he seems to be fine he plays with his two brothers who also got fixed
he's eating well and is active it just looks like it hurts!!!!

So sometimes the crusting around the nose is because they got a little dehydrated during the surgery and some of the normal mucus dried up. This could also be the case for the white crusty stuff below his nose, or possibly a little lubrication or surgical scrub was on his fur. I would just clean both areas with a wash cloth.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize the area looked inflamed. Can you send me a pic?

I don't have my phone here at first it looked like the skin between his nose and upper lip looked raw
the bridge of his nose also seems a little blackened I wonder if the vet may have been a little rough with him she seemed in a hurry

Ok no problem, I wonder if they use an endotracheal tube for a neuter procedure. This would leave a tie mark over the bridge of the nose. Does it look like his fur is ruffled there?

Do you have any ointment at home that you could use to soothe it?

what kind of sav do you recommend
because I'm Shure he will lick it

Sorry, it keeps repeating. How about something like a cortaid cream or hydorcortisone cream.

or maybe just something simple like a cool compress. If you do at some point get a picture, I would love to see it.

he won't get sick if he licks it
I will have my wife send you some photos were should we send them?
the white crusty stuff is also in his whiskers a little

Ok that sounds good. You can attach right to this thread or you can email to***@******.***

I start appointments again at 2pm but I will be back on this evening to look for any pics. I will be on here until about 1:45

OK Thank you very much ..Todd

Sure, I'll talk to you soon. In the meantime, maybe try a cool wash cloth

Hi, I just checked my email and didn't see any pics, just wondering if you still want me to take a look at the skin.