Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 11-yr-old female cat has experienced a problem after she…

Customer Question
My 11-yr-old female cat...

My 11-yr-old female cat has experienced a problem after she eats for quite a while, but it seems to be getting worse. For about 10-15 min, afterwards she runs and plays, but then her ears begin heating up followed by her entire head. She doesn't want to be touched. Then her hindquarters heat up and if it's a bad session, her whole body feels clammy/warm to the touch. The heat leaves within 20-60 min. usually. Four local vets have had no idea what's wrong with her. Blood workups in last yr. have been

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?

I was told blood workups were normal -- they were done earlier in the yr. Wanting to eat is not her problem -- she has liked any food I've tried. Her current food is holistic (after prescription food didn't help) called Solid Gold which is gluten free with pumpkin for digestion. It seemed yo help at first, but then not. This problem seems to be a reaction to eating in general. She has good days sometimes -- her quickness is back, she's more vocal and affectionate. I'm at a loss to understand what's happening to her!! Please help!!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

I'll tell you right off the bat this is an odd presentation / concern, but I'll take a crack at it with some suggestions that come to mind...

#1 - You are stating that Misty's ears, head, hindquarters, or entire body heat up. I would suggest taking rectal temperatures during these episodes to see if she is truly hyperthermic during them. I see animals that "feel warm" or "feel like they have a fever" very very often that are of perfectly normal temperature. A cats normal temperature is up to 102.5F - they run hotter than people. This will help determine if there even is a concern at all present regarding the change in her warmth, or if it's purely behavioral.

#2 - I'd videotape as many of these occurrences as possible. You've sought out 4 consultations in person and now are looking elsewhere. This tells me you have a strong concern for this and want to figure it out. That being said, videotaping the occurrences is going to be good practice. You could then show exactly what's going on to veterinarians. For example, consider a neurologist consultation to get their opinion on the behavior that occurs in the videotape.

Those are the two thoughts that come to mind for me for this odd presentation. I would not hesitate to ask for a specialist referral to seek guidance from an internal medicine specialist and/or neurologist and/or behavioral specialist for these concerns if you are wanting to get to the bottom of it. You may end up not finding anything clinically relevant, but you know your pet best and if you think their is something wrong you shouldn't ignore it.

Hopefully my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian