Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an about an 11 or 12 yr old can I dont really know…

Customer Question
I have an about...

I have an about an 11 or 12 yr old can I dont really know cause he was a shelter cat I go him in 2011 and it appears that he has lost some teeth throws up almost everything he eats whole like it was not even chewed.. and now he has had this need to go outside.. I never let him out because I live on a busy street but lately for the past month I have he hangs out in the yard eating grass and he is losing clumps of hair and has lost weight.. what do you think? I can't afford a vet bill yet my heart breaks for him I don't know what to do.. I think that he is dieing should I just let him live his life as he wants and wait for the inevitable to occur?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Oh and By the way he was from what I am told a feral cat then lived with an old women who died and he ended up in a shelter where I got him.. of all the cats there he came right up to me and sucked up big time and i fell in love but now I don't know what to do.. he is an attention whore.. if you pet him and then stop he claws you to keep going.. very anoying.. but I think he is sick or just old.. he was about 5 or 6 when I got him in 2011

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 10 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. What is his name?

Just to clarify: he has vomiting undigested food, change in behavior, hair loss, and weight loss

These can be symptoms of thyroid disease, which is a common disease in older cats.

Is he drinking or peeing any more than before?

He has vomited food ever since I got him.. but he doesn't vomit soft can food only the dry but he won't always eat canned food.. he throws up huge hair balls to.. and he does not use his litter box much because he goes out side he likes to just sit in the sun and he sleeps all the time.. and he is not drinking much at all
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 10 months ago

Sorry I was not signed on yesterday!

Does he eat a lot in one sitting? That might explain why hes throwing up food thats not digested.