Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have 4 less than 1 week old kittens {3 boys and 1 girl}

Customer Question
We have 4 less...

We have 4 less than 1 week old kittens {3 boys and 1 girl} we found in our barn, we left them there and checked frequently to see if the mama was coming back or if something happened to her. the boys smell all the time like a fishy weird smell. they have been bathed {we had to} and I clean them after each potty. I thought it was the one because the umbilical cord still attached. also no one is pooping and its been over 24 hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Well we have Mittens {the runt with umbilical cord still on}, H e smells the worse. Then Thor he is the largest of all them, and Stripes, and Twixie the girl..as I said these are orphaned kittens under 1 week ones eyes just opened yesterday the rest were open

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

They are not pooping its been over 24 hours since we took them in one looks really bloated

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

To confirm, it's sounds like momma cat is not in the picture at this time?

Are you bottle feeding them? Are they eating well for you? Are you stimulating them to urinate / defecate with meals (I can discuss how to do this if it's unfamiliar to you).

The foul smell associated with the umbilical cord is concerning for a possible infection.

mama never came back. I am bottle feeding KMR and all are eating very well, all in the syggested amount they should be eating according to their weight. They all have a great latch at eat about every 2 1/2 to 3hrs. I rub a cotton ball with a little warm water to make them potty. All are peeing before every feeding good amounts too. I also just started doing it after their feeding and burping in hopes of the feeding and burping may help get things moving better. Watched you tube videos to see if I'm missing something. The smell is better actually I think their pee may have just been really strong and dribbling on the bedding. When i hold them to feed them they don't smell. The runt cord fell off last night and it looks fine no smell..i actually found him first somewhere different from the others outside he was worse off and he was about 5.5-6 oz where the rest were 7.5 to 9 o now hes almost 7.5 the rest all gaining too. Thinking constipated or blocked up what can do. We can't afford vet bills we are trying to do right by helping these little ones the best we can.
I don't think constipation is likely, especially on KMR. But internal parasites are likely. I would not suggest trying any enemas or intestinal lubricants as would be done with constipation as that could be dangerous with a young kitten. Keep stimulating them to urinate and defecate and being sure they are all eating well. Cold kittens will not wat well, be sure they are nice and warm for their meals! Consider dosing them with pyrantel pamoate, avaliable as an OTC dewormer, dose at 1mL per 10lb, given by mouth, 2 weeks apart. Continue weighing to be sure they are continuing to gain. Be sure all kittens have patent anuses, you'll know this if you've seen them all defecate at least once, and if youre able to insert a thermometer into their an us properly - animals can be born with atresia Ani in which they don't have an open an us and inate ad have a layer of skin blocking defecation. Stimulate urination and defecation before and after every meal, every couple hours.Let me know if you have other questions, otherwise please kindly dont forget to rate with the stars, thanks! -Dr. Peck.
If it's 1ml per 10lbs....what dose is for under 1lb? They are 10.5 oz, 9.5oz, 9oz, and 8oz
Oh and one the smallest 8oz one had a very small and pretty firm to hard poo.
10oz = 0.625lb
0.625lb x 1ml/10lb = 0.0625mL
Pyrantel is very safe. I'd rx 0.1mL by mouth, then re dose on current weight 2 weeks later.If their stools are too firm focus on increased fluid/food (mlk) intake as they may be dehydrated, on consider bring them in, e.g. for su cutaneous fluid administration. But stay away from enemas or intestinal lubricants.
subcutaneous, apologies I'm on mobile currently
Okay I will increase fluids. And still do the former to be safe
Good luck! You're doing good by em. :) kindly remember to please rate with the stars, and have a great week! -Dr. Peck.
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian