Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat is spayed but do they come in heat anyway? our cat…

Customer Question
Our cat is spayed...

Our cat is spayed but do they come in heat anyway?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Our cat has been spayed but do they still come into heat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She is continually meowing today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the cat behaving differently?

She seems to want to go outside but we want her to be a house cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Ginger and we were told she was 8 or9 mths old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. How old is Ginger?

8 mts old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

No she usally don't go meowing lke this

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Not if they've been properly spayed...in other words, both ovaries and uterus were removed. If her persistent meowing is due to her coming into estrus (heat) she's suffering from the ovarian remnant syndrome which describes a small piece of ovary inadvertently being left in the abdomen following a spay procedure. Her vet can tell if your cat is heat by examining the vaginal cells at this time. Hormonal testing is also available but may not be necessary if cornified vaginal cells typical of estrus are seen microscopically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian