Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old cat that has a sensitive spot on her…

I have a 2...

I have a 2 year old cat that has a sensitive spot on her back near the base of her tail. She used to want me to rub her there but now meows when I touch it and the fur is thinning there. The skin is not raw or even red, just wondering if I should be concerned or not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No she is otherwise in terrific health!

9/25/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. When dealing with hair loss at the base of the tail, 99% of the time it is actually a flea issue, even with indoor only cats. Now, you may never see fleas on cats because they groom so fastidiously, but nothing else really causes problems like that at the base of the tail. Tail gland hyperplasia would be the only other thing (except an obvious abscess from a bite wound), but that area is usually oily and more common in male cats. I would have your vet check her out for any skin mites, ringworm and skin allergies; but none of them really cause problems where you are describing, especially if that is the only area of hair loss. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian