Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I was suppose to give my cat 1 unit of insulin if she ate

and 1/2 if she didn't JA...
I was suppose to give my cat 1 unit of insulin if she ate and 1/2 if she didn't
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: this was Thursday. her initial blood sugar was 435 at the vets office
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: relooking at the syringe I gave her 10u thurs nite, 5 u am/pm Friday, 5 u am/pm sat and 5u sunday. after that I stopped because I realized the error. she seems ok what should I do
9/25/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Diabetes is such a tough disease to manage and requires paying attention to lots of details. The most important thing is that she is feeling ok and that nothing serious happened. You are very fortunate. But don't beat yourself up.

My advice would be to pick up where you left off. So first make sure that she is feeling completely like herself; that she is eating and drinking normally and does not appear lethargic or depressed. It sounds like she did not get any insulin last night which is good.

This morning if she is willing to eat well, then give her 1 unit.

I am sure that your veterinarian has a plan to recheck her blood sugar levels in about 2 weeks either with a curve or a fructosamine level. Most vets do fructosamine levels because cats get a little stressed in the hospital and it can affect the curve.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I would glad to help in anyway that I can.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week.

Keep me posted on how she is doing.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Nicole

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Thanks for the response Dr. Nicole.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian