PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He is very congested but otherwise fine. Has been eating and

He is very congested but otherwise fine. Has been eating and drinking not lathargic at all. He's been to
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He has been to the local vet given antibiotics finished them about two weeks ago. His name is ***** ***** he's about 11 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about King?
Customer: He was a rescue I adopted him from petco a month ago and apparently spent a looong time in the petco display. I just tried a tiny dab of vapor rub to open him up and he like spit up a bit but seems fine now and is eating breakfast as we speak

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Please avoid using vaporub on cats as it can cause severe GI symptoms. Enough of this medication can be toxic, as well.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

Are you seeing any mucus from the eyes or nose?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm at work right now and don't have video but yes lots of mucus. Sometimes he's productively sneezing esp after he's been waiting lwaits for me in the bathroom when I'm showering but often it is sneezing with no mucus actually coming out I can just hear it. When it does come out it is slightly clear to yellow. Sometimes it is viscous sometimes it is hard like a "booger"

If he's been sneezing with mucus, this sounds more like a respiratory tract infection. How long after adoption did this occur?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Within days. Vet gave him a shot and ten days worth of oral antibiotics which I administered religiously.

I would contact the rescue agency that has their pets in the store to see if their health guarantee covers a vet visit, which is truly what he needs. At this stage, King should not only be examined but started on antibiotics, as well, to help clear the infection. If he doesn't qualify, I'd arrange a vet visit on your own accord. I would also begin giving him OTC human antihistamine Chlorpheniramine at 1-4mg every 12-24 hours to help with the congestion. It may take 3-5 days for this medication to give the most benefit, but it should greatly help to cut back on the congestion especially when the underlying infection is treated with antibiotics.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you so much. The rescue agency is janky at best and I doubt he is covered. I will make an appt with his vet. When we went the first time, the receptionist rolled her eyes when I told
Her where I adopted him from. Apparently
They have a track record of sick cats. Thank you for your assistance.