Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I accidentally put sergents flea and tick. Kitty kitty 4 yrs…

I accidentally put sergents...

I accidentally put sergents flea and tick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Kitty kitty 4 yrs old i love this cat so much please help me ive washed in dawn i try my best i promise you i just dont have the money for a vet please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Kitty kitty, my husband was an over the road truck driver her mother was killed in Colorado and rob rescued her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

No we have her rabbies shots threw the spca and her shots and shed neutered

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

She had a seizure and shes shaking alittle what can i do at home please help
Can i give her something to vomit r would that be to much

I am sorry to hear that Kitty had Sergents Flea and Tick medication applied instead of the proper one for cats.

You need to bathe her fully in cool water and a degreasing agent such as Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Do not vigorously rub the areas where the topical was aplied, as that will increase absorption. But do gently bathe those areas to remove as much as possible. The less she absorbs the better. If you can still see where the medication was applied concentrate on getting that area clean. You may need to bathe her several times until there isn't any evidence of the product on his coat or skin.

If this is a pyrethrin based product common symptoms of this toxicity are drooling, nausea, diarrhea, dilated pupils, tremors, incoordination and in very severe cases seizures.

The problem with this toxin is if they cannot eat and drink they get very dehydrated and worsen quickly.

If the tremors are very bad they can cause an increase in body temperature and muscle toxins which can cause brain damage and kidney failure.

So if her body temperature rises and she is tremoring consistently she needs intravenous fluids to bring down her body temperature and flush out the muscle toxins.

If actual seizures occur she will need intravenous medication for that.

At home all that can be done is decontamination (bathing) and nursing care.

That includes keeping her quiet and away from stairs so she doesn't fall and hurt herself, and helping her eat and drink. Keep an eye on body temperature. (Concern is a rectal temperature more than 103.5F) Keep her in a quiet area as the more she is stimulated the more she will tremor.

If she seizures she must be seen by a veterinarian, that can quickly become a life threatening condition.

There is nothing that you can do at home for that.

As far as how long her symptoms will last, that will depend upon whether we can get most of this off or not.

Usually symptoms last 2 to 3 days if we can get most of the product off.

If this is an extreme exposure then symptoms can last a couple weeks.

Very rarely there is long term damage.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

I know that you had hoped to try treating her at home, but once a kitty starts seizures it is not advisable or safe to try home treatment. If she seizures in the tub while you are trying to bathe her she could drown.

Inducing vomiting will not help. The product is absorbed into the bloodstream and is already in her body tissue affecting her muscles and brain. Inducing vomiting is used only when an animal has just eaten something to remove it BEFORE it is absorbed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Thank you im praying so hard she comez threw this please pray 4 her thank you

I will think positive thoughts for her but I am very, very concerned that she is seizuring. My hope is that she doesn't have any more, but please call your local shelter or humane society and see if they can help her. She would really benefit from fluids and drugs to control her seizures while her body processes the toxin.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian