Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been vomiting the last one had a small amount of…

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been vomiting the last one had a small amount of blood in it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Murphy. 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?

Not really she seems in good health rating and using her box ad isusl

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry that your girl Murphy has vomited several times, once with blood.

Is she still willing and able to eat and drink?

Has she stopped vomiting now?

Are her gums and tongue a nice bubblegum pink color?

Sometimes if a kitty vomits several times, or very forcefully, or eats something irritating to the gastrointestinal tract (like plant material), the lining of the esophagus or stomach gets irritated and the small blood vessels in the esophagus or stomach break and thus we see blood or a pink tinge in the vomit.

If her gums are a nice bubblegum pink color, and there was only blood seen once in her vomit then the bleeding is very likely very little.

Causes of vomiting include bacterial, viral or fungal infections, eating something she should not including a foreign body (rubber band, bones, or toy piece) or inflammatory bowel disease. Other possibilities are internal organ (kidney or liver) disease that cause a build up of waste products which the organs normally remove that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract leading to bleeding or pancreatitis. Infiltrative cancers like lymphoma are possible as well.

Gastrointestinal parasites are rarely the cause of vomiting but can cause gastrointestinal bleeding.

Does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?

I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and settle her stomach and ease lining irritation. You can give either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers which will decrease irritation of the stomach and esophagus and may help her feel better. They can be used for several days if need be.

Then I recommend a 12 to 24 hour food fast. Water is fine as she needs to stay hydrated but by taking away food we rest her gut and hopefully reset normal gut motions.

In 12 to 24 hours start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. This is an easily digested bland diet and won't irritate her stomach and intestines. Feed the bland diet mix for several days until her nausea clears, then slowly start mixing in her regular diet. It should take about a week to convert her back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.

You can also give her probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora, Proviable and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.

If even with the acid reducing medication, her food fast, probiotics and bland diet she still is vomiting or refusing to eat she should be seen by a veterinarian. If she continues vomiting, especially with blood even with the acid reducing medication then she needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis, otherwise she will become dehydrated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian