Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I was just given an 8 week old kitten and she is leaking a…

Customer Question
Hi I was just...

Hi I was just given an 8 week old kitten and she is leaking a clear liquid from her but that smells like feces. Her anis looks a bit swollen but she seems fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

We just named her Oreo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?

Not that I am aware of. I was given to her by someone today. Her mom was in an alley and the lady who took her in didn’t say much regarding Oreo.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

If it smells like feces and is coming from her anal region I'd assume it's fecal matter - given it's clear liquid she probably has diarrhea. Young kittens often have parasites that result in diarrhea and an irritating and sometimes prolapsed anus. At this age it is important for Oreo to be seen for kitten examinations / vaccines / deworming starting now regardless - so I'd suggest making an appointment for a kitten wellness visit to start vaccinations etc. and mention this concern while you're in. A fecal parasite check should be done and she should be dewormed at a minimum. If it is indeed diarrhea and it's severe enough other medications might be prescribed. Monitor until you can get her in during regular hours.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about Oreo, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Reminder: Please don't forget to rate using the stars! This is very important for the experts that use this site to help people, it is how they are compensated for their time on the site. If you find this website helpful, RATE! And more importantly, if you have follow-up questions to the one that I helped you with, please don't hesitate to write me back to continue the dialogue. I aim to help you as best as my abilities allow. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian