Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Lethargy and not interested in food. Went to vet five days

in a row, can't figure...
Lethargy and not interested in food. Went to vet five days in a row, can't figure out reason. Normal blood work, lab urinalysis was normal, home urinalysis showed slight hematocrit, positive nitrates, and 4.0 urobilinogen. Stool sample negative. Respirations normal, gums normal pink color. Litter box has normal sized, normal brown colored poop, and urine is infrequent, but he isn't eating or drinking much. Had fever in beginning of week after rabies shot and distemper. Was also microchipped the day before. Distemper shits were given too close tiogether. Kitten is a dish, tuxedo male born in may sometime. He turn up nose at almost all food. Went from eating 10-12 oz a day to maybe three. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Jack.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I have the blood results. One moment
9/25/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would like to review his test results, please. You can scan them into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. My initial concern is a persistent hypersensitivity reaction to a vaccine given in such proximity to his signs.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look at these, please...

Thanks for your time Dr. Salkin. I'm trying everything to get him to eat a decent amount. The fever lasted until Thursday. Now he gets warm but still in normal range. He goes to the room next to an air conditioner to sit there. The distemper shots were given about a week and a half to two weeks apart. My shelter had given it to him, then the vet without realizing the shot was listed in his chart. So far I can only get him to freely eat a small amount of dry food, and baby food. He drinks in his own a bit, but I have been giving him fluids by mouth with a syringe at the corner of his mouth to keep him hydrated. I normally don't feed dry food, but I'm desperate to get him to eat something. I haven't seen any vomiting..but I say haven't seen because the one or two times he did he licked it up. That was an episode months ago.
Absoulutely. Thank you so much

I see a nicely normal complete blood count (CBC) but no biochemistries (tests concerning major organs, blood sugar, electrolytes, etc.). Without a sediment exam, the urinalysis isn't complete. Leukocyte assessment is insensitive without a sediment exam, nitrite and urobilinogen aren't useful in cats, but if the specific gravity is truly 1.01x, the urine is too dilute. I suspect that it, too, isn't accurate. A 1.01x in a kitten is very unlikely.

I would consider a glucocorticoid (steroid) trial with prednisolone in the event of a vaccine reaction but I'd be more comfortable assessing the rest of his diagnostic profile first. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What testing should be done for the lab work? A lab urinalysis was also performed but with the part same sample as what was done at home. The lab test was done with the sample several hours after it was taken, vet said it was normal. They didn't see the other results that the home kit showed. (I know it is just a home kit, and the lab should be more reliable..just trying to figure this out). His snap test was also negative, and so was feline leukemia
May I also ask you during the process of trying to figure this out, how much food is too little food over the course of a day for a kitten his age? And when is too long for giving him the baby food as my last resort when he won't touch anything else?
Ears being up today is new for this past seven days. The day after the vaccine he was given he was given a shot of diphenhydramine and a shot of prednisone once. His poor leg was so sore he couldn't walk. His right hind leg from toes to knee was flat on the floor.

A basic diagnostic panel evaluating the kidneys, liver, blood glucose, and electrolytes in addition to the CBC and viral testing which was already performed.

Aw. Best ears ever.

How much does Jack weigh and how old is he in months? I can tell you the number of kcal of food he should be eating daily.

He was 6.94 pounds, may have lost a little bit with the not eating. He was a rescue , estimated to be born in may sometime..so about 4 months-ish

Thank you. A 7 lb cat of his age should be ingesting 500 kcal of food daily. You should be able to find the caloric density of a food you're giving him on the product label. If not, it should be on the manufacturer's website.

Ok. Is baby food and the dry food a suitable substitute until I can get him to get back to regular cat /kitten food?
The baby food is the plain chicken no spices

Anything you can get down an inappetent cat is fine. Meat baby foods/dry food are fine.

Thanks. I will call the vet office tomorrow to get the blood work done that you suggested. How can I follow up with you to get your opinion after I see the vet for him, and how can I ask you a separate question about my female Luna with chronic lung congestion? I have X-rays but no answers.

If he continues to improve you can eschew the additional blood work. Just hearing that he was given an antihistamine and glucocorticoid a day after he was vaccinated supports that he's been suffering a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to his vaccine(s). I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

For another pet, my moderator insists that you open up a new question. If you have X-rays, I'd like to see them. If in digital form you can send me the link to them. If not, you'll have to send them as phots but theat degrades the resolution of them.

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be. To speak to me it's best to type "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" as the first few words of your new question. In that manner my colleagues know to defer to me.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Oh absolutely, I'd open another question. I want you to get paid. I just wasn't sure how. Thanks for clarifying that. I do have the X-rays, I will set up another question to you. Thank you again for your help and opinion.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian