Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a cat (Napoleon, male, 2 yrs) that really hates one…

Customer Question
I have a cat (Napoleon...
I have a cat (Napoleon, male, 2 yrs) that really hates one of our other cats, Belle, 7 yes, female. Our 2 females, Molly & Belle, were here first. We got Napoleon as a kitten 2 years ago. We have spent the last year displaced due to a flood. Back home now. During displacement, cats were kept in a bedroom, Belle and Napoleon in one, Molly in the other. One day, Belle tripped me, and i fell, Napoleon went after her, and wont tolerate her at all anymore. Yowels, tries to attack.
I need help to get them back to getting along. We have done a lot of site swapping.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Deborah,

I am very much a cat person myself, what you describe can sometimes be a difficult problem to address but with patience it can often be eventually resolved. This is something I have been asked about many times in the past by clients at my clinic. My advice to them was usually along the following lines :

1. Get a wire cat basket or wire crate big enough to comfortably hold an adult cat plus a litter tray and a bowl for food and water. You then place the cage in an area where the cats would normally wander in the house and you put Napoleon and Bella in the cage on alternate days so there is always one of them in the cage, you need not include Molly since she is not part of the conflict. In this way the two cats will get used to the sight and smell of each other without any conflict, also the cat smells get through an area of the house where they normally wander. This will give them an impression of a shared territory which is the object of the exercise. Keeping them apart in different parts of the house is usually not a desirable solution as they will have to come together at some point.

2. After a week of this you then try and feed all the cats in the same room each day with the bowls far apart. You will have to be there to supervise and be ready to control them. If this works start gradually bringing the food bowls back together.

3. After that try having all the cats together in one room while you are there to supervise perhaps in the evening when you are watching TV and so gradually reduce the time each cat is in the cage until they start getting on. Having said that there will always be the odd scrap that's normal with cats but hopefully it will be minimal.

The above sounds quite complicated and labour intensive and can take quite a few weeks in total, but I can assure you my clients have had good results with this method many times in the past.

4. One more thing which can really help is Feliway which you can use in conjunction with the above plan, again this has been known to work well amongst my clients in precisely the situation you find yourself in. Here is a link to this product : LINK

Hopefully I have given you a few ideas, also I should be available online for you the next couple of hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you

Right now, they take turns having the run of the house, so he knows her sent, and vice versa. I have traded the cat trees too. I had thought of trying this, I have a large dog crate I can use. We used it when Napoleon was a kitten, at night for the 1st few weeks.
Before the flood, they all had their morning wet food at the same time, pretty close to each other., in a row.
Hope to get back to that.

Not easy I know but the crate is worth a try, keeping them seperate will just keep the problem going ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cats are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning their socialisation problems ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm still tracking down a large crate. I will let you know how it goes. Hope to get one tomorrow.

I will be interested to see how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott