Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I THINK SHE HAS FELINE DIABETIS. She has had it for about 2

weeks and I think she...
I THINK SHE HAS FELINE DIABETIS. She has had it for about 2 weeks and I think she will not last another night without some help but I can't afford an emergency call as it is over $400 here.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the feline's name?
Customer: Angel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: She is 14 years old, but I have never had any health problems until now.
9/24/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

I am really sorry to hear about Angel. That is such a tough situation. I will do my best to help you through this.

Was she seen by a vet in the past 2 weeks and diagnosed with diabetes?

If not what makes you think that she has the disease? Is she drinking and urinating excessively?

she is drinking excessive amounts of water, urinating right after. She is also lethargic, and her legs are visibly thinner to the point where she has to use a set of stairs to get up on the bed
No calls, I cant talk crying.
PLEASE TELL NME IF I CAN GIVE HER A COUPLE OF UNITS OF MY PERSONAL INSULIN TO HELP HER THROUGH THE NIGHT.

There are a few diseases that can resemble diabetes with signs of excessive drinking, excessive urinating, vomiting, lethargy, weight loss and weakness. Other diseases that I see all the time that look and act the same way as diabetes are kidney disease and Hyperthyroidism.

This is the tough part, unless she has a blood test to determine what the exact cause is, it is nearly impossible to treat her clinical signs. I completely understand that things get expensive, especially with a pet that is in a critical situation, but there is no way to know which condition we are dealing with. And to complicate it even more, it could be something else.

** Sorry about the call thing- the system automatically offers it. I try to not to bother people with it.

typing more....

Is their anything that I can do to make her more comfortable. She does throw up at least 2 times a week, but there is nothing but a little foam.

I would absolutely not give your insulin. If she is not diabetic and she is not eating and drinking well, you could kill her by giving her insulin that she doesn't need, especially if her blood sugar is already low.

Couple things you can do at home:

I am sure that she is a bit dehydrated even though she is drinking a lot. This is usually always the case with these cats. You can try to syringe her some water to try to help with hydration.

Pepcid AC- sometimes these cats have a very upset stomach and do not want to eat- you can give her 2.5 mg Pepcid AC twice daily and sometimes that can calm the stomach down.

Actually, her apetite is ok and she does have frequent bowel movements that seem OK.

Ok, it is good that she is eating. That is great. Was she a heavier cat to start with or not?

No. She was a "picky" eater even healthy and I always had dried food in her bowel to have whenever she wanted. She never over-ate.

Ok. So we might not be dealing with diabetes. Obviously if she was obese that does increase the likelihood of diabetes, but I see so many kidney disease cats that there is just no way of knowing without a basic blood test. Many kidney disease cats will have a very strong odor about their breath. Sometimes we use that also to help us diagnose the disease. Have you noticed this?

Is she walking around and interacting with you or is she pretty lethargic and not moving at this point? Just trying to get an idea of severity?

Just checked her breath. It's fine. She is lethargic, but if I approach, she acknowledges my presence and will allow me to pet her.

Do you have a veterinarian that you trust that you could see tomorrow? I understand that things get expensive, but if they could just do a basic blood test to tell you what her primary problem is that would make you feel better and would allow you to know how to treat her.

Not all treatments have to be expensive depending on what the disease is. I always try to work with people on finding a reasonable way to diagnose and treat within many budgets.

Not sure if you got my last message, we were sending at the same time..

If you don't believe it is diabetis, is their anything which will make her more comfortable tonight?
Where would I fill a prescription for medicine for her.

I am not saying that it is not diabetes, I just wanted you to know that there are other possibilities and didn't want you to give your insulin without knowing.

As far as making her comfortable tonight, just allowing her to rest. If she does appear dehydrated, then adding more water to her food in small amounts or syringe feeding small amounts of water. You can check to see if she is hydrated by feeling her gums. If they are sticky she is likely dehydrated. Or if you gently grab her scruff area and her skin does not snap right back but is slow, then she is likely dehydrated.

Even though she is not vomiting and is eating ( which is really good by the way. I am much more concerned about cats that completely stop eating!) the pepcid AC might help to just calm her stomach. You can pick that up at any pharmacy. Usually comes in 10 mg and you can give 1/4 tablet twice daily of 1/2 tablet once daily.

I honestly wish that there was more that I could suggest, but even if you took her in for an exam, we as veterinarians, just like doctors, rely on blood tests to help us make an accurate diagnosis. If we just guess based on clinical signs and the exam, we could do a lot of harm. The other part of the exam that is important, is that they will be able to feel her belly and make sure that they don't feel any masses or any abnormal physically.

I will run out and get it now and try to give her a half tablet. You have to really push it in her mouth, don't you?

Also I will be checking my message throughout the evening. If you have further questions if her condition changes, just send me a message. Make sure that she is breathing fine, that her gum color is nice and pink, that she is willing to eat and drink and just keep her comfortable.

Yes, so just break it, maybe dip it in her canned food or some chicken gerber baby food so that it has a good taste to it, open her mouth, put the pill in, close her mouth and gently massage her throat. It usually works best if she is on your lap in wrapped in a towel so that she can't scratch you.

Thank you. I have to go before the pharmacy closes. Bye.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week.

Keep me posted, feel free to message me and just take it one moment at a time.

I can tell that you love her very much.

Oh and just make sure you are getting pepcid AC and NOT pepto bismol

Sincerely,

Dr. N

How are things going? Does she seem pretty stable. Just wanted to check in with you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought the Pepsid AC and broke one of the pills into three pieces. I gave her one piece about 7:30PM. She has been up to drink twice since then and visited the litter box twice. She is still very lethargic/weak and uses the stairs I made for her getting up on the bed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I will just have to be close for her. Would it be OK if I washed her face with some warm water?
that would be fine. Please let me know if you decide to take her in to be checked. I can tell how much you love her and you don't want her to suffer if she is not improving. I will check in with you in the morning.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you and good night.

I just wanted to check in to see how things went overnight. I won't be able to check my messages as much today, but still feel free to keep me posted.

Thinking of you.

Take Care,

Dr. N

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian