Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just gave her her sub q fluids, supposed to be 100 ml, but…

I just gave her...

I just gave her her sub q fluids, supposed to be 100 ml, but I was doing it myself and the bag was way up high and going fast and I think I gave her almost 200 ml. She's only 6.5 pounds. She seems okay, but it all went down one leg and she's a little agitated and licking it. I'm kind of panicking! Was that too much?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Chronic kidney disease.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Gapper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gapper?

She's under a good vet's care and was just in last week - has had elevated BUN and creatinine for two years, elevated phosphorus for 6 months, and now is a bit anemic.

9/24/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried, but Gapper should be fine. It may take awhile for the fluids to be absorbed, the lump of fluids may even sink down into his shoulders and legs, but it will be absorbed slowly.

It may be uncomfortable because of the pressure under the skin, but it will get better as the fluid is absorbed. You have done no permanent harm!

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Thank you!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Gapper is fine, thank you. Well, not fine, but no worse than she was. Thanks for alleviating my concern.

You are welcome. Thanks for the update.