Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Poor 12 yr old diabetic with pancreatitis. On insulin fior 3

Poor 12 yr old diabetic with pancreatitis. On insulin fior 3 months. He usually has voracious appetite, but not fir last 24 hours. Poor baby looks like he's in bad pain and I have heard that pancreatit is very painful did gave us Buprenorphine just in case, but we haven't given it yet. Reading comments here makes me wonder if Ishould
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the baby has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the baby's name?
Customer: Cassidy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cassidy?
Customer: Insulin dose is lantus 2 units 2x a day. He's on strictly high protein diet. 96% He's been vomiting profusely for months (several times daily) and our vet has not been able to stop that

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

You have heard correctly, pancreatitis is very painful. So, if you have Buprenorphine, we'd absolutely want to start that and give it every 8-12 hours for Cassidy. It is a good, strong pain relief and usually is used in pancreatitis cases. Furthermore, if he isn't already on anti-nausea medication or appetite stimulants those too are also bases we tend to need to cover for these cases. And there are a range of anti-nausea medication that can be used and if your lad has had severe vomiting, your vet may even need to use Zofran (a drug originally designed to help with vomiting in human chemo patients). Any delay in speaking to them about that and you could at least try him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can consider (if you have not already) offering an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. These are easy on the stomach but also the low fat is ideal for countering pancreatitis. So, those would be bases to cover for him at this point but most importantly we want to be using that pain relief here since we don't want him to suffer.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Question: thebuprenorphine is injection. I read where should inject into site of pain, but not sure where that is. Any particular place on his body? We inject insulin in the nape or side flanks. Thanks.

Hi again,

No, there is no need to do that. You just give it under the skin like you wound his insulin at either site. Else it can even just be given into the mouth (without the needle), as it will absorb through the gums. But we don't tend to give it into any site of pain as it is a systemic drug and moves through the body.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok, great. Will do. Thanks again. Enjoy your Sunday.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.