Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 year old male cat seems to have suddenly lost his

My 10 year old...

My 10 year old male cat seems to have suddenly lost his eyesite. He hasn't been eating and I can get food into him my feeding him by hand. He also has taken to pacing rooms and wedging himself in to tight areas including a power reclinging couch and love seat. Shoud I euthanize him>

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

His Name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?

He has always cuddled and purred in my arms, but not since the blindness has happened. He is gentle and acts more like a dog than a cat. He has always been around our two dogs.

9/24/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Dallas has apparently lost his eye sight suddenly and is pacing and putting himself into tight areas. I am very sorry to hear about what is happening. Does Dallas have any recent history of kidney disease or other medical problems? Is there any possibility of toxicity to medications or marijuana? These can cause neurological impairments, so that is why I ask.

No, he has been pretty healthy. Within the last month his appetite decreased but he would always eat treats. Lately he is wedging himself into the mechanism for our power recliners.

Thank you for that information. I am sure this is disconcerting for you to observe. One of the causes of sudden blindness in cats is from retinal detachment. This is often a result of hypertension. If treated early, it probably has the best outcome as the retina can sometimes re-attach itself and vision can be restored. Cataracts will cause vision loss, but they are not necessarily dangerous. Diabetes is a common cause of cataracts, so this should be ruled out. Usually there is a history of excessive thirst and drinking water. A brain mass is probably the least favorable reason for sudden vision loss.

What you need to do next is to have Dallas' retina and eye evaluated, put on medication for elevated blood pressure if necessary, and evaluated for any mass that might be contributing to vision loss. A regular general practitioner veterinarian should be able to assess the majority of these causes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately we had Dallas euthanized this morning.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your veterinarian assssed it was not a retina detachment. My thoughts are with you and please let me know if I can help you further. All the best.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian