Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 16 years old and has been loosing her sight over the…

Customer Question
She is 16 years...

She is 16 years old and has been loosing her sight over the last two years, no swelling but eye became opaque. The other eye started doing the same ( no swelling or weeping) I have had this happen to old dogs already and the vet said there was nothing they could do. In the last fifteen minutes his eye started to swell to the point I thought it might pop out. He was crying and in obvious pain but has calmed down but his eye still looks terrible. Any advice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Oreo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oreo?

Been fine, very friendly cat but he is old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you just in case you haven't had Oreo seen. My concern here is that if the eyeball is swollen, then we either have glaucoma (an emergency) or we have swelling behind the eyeball (tumor, bleed, abscess, etc) that is pushing it from the socket. Therefore, if Oreo hasn't yet been seen, I must implore you to do so now. Again glaucoma is a painful emergency condition but it can sometimes be managed with eyedrops to reduce the intra-eye pressures. Else the eye sometimes needs to be removed. For the other, most of those can be treated and if they are before the eye is pushed too far then the eye can usually be saved (if it is stretched too far out such that it damages the optic nerve, they can end up blind). So, if this has swollen in this manner, glaucoma is a top concern for Oreo and a sign to have her seen as quick as we can.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.