Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My older female cat has starting urinating more than she…

Customer Question
My older female cat...

My older female cat has starting urinating more than she ever has before. She's drinking lot of water, eating well. I suspect I need to make an appointment for her but I can't until my social security check comes on the 3rd of October. Is there a danger that though she's drinking water, she could be dehydrated? Leigh Trenham (Ms.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She belonged to a young couple before becoming my cat. They "think" she's 12 or 13 years old. She's sleeping a lot, but my friends tell me that their older cats do also. Where are you located? I live on the west side of Riverside, near downtown....the older district.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 9 months ago
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs

Hi, Leigh.

I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry your older kitty is exhibiting these symptoms. From your description of her urinating more and drinking more, plus sleeping more (yes, older cats do sleep most of the day), this could indicate the possibility of diabetes, hyperthyroidism or kidney issues, which are more common in the senior cat. It sounds more like diabetes, so I will send you this information:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2130&aid=199

------------

Your kitty will need to be seen in person by her vet and a routine senior blood panel will be done. This will show if her blood glucose is elevated and she is, indeed, diabetic, or if she has another condition that is causing these current symptoms. Once she is definitely diagnosed, she will be treated. If she is diabetic, your vet will recommend the best food (high in protein and low in carbs) and she will be put on insulin. The vet will show you how to give the injections. It's not that difficult, once you get into the habit.

We are located all over the world. Experts answer from their homes or offices, but the headquarters for JustAnswer in the USA, is in San Francisco, CA.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Sorry for the duplicate answer. The "I'm ready to be rated" button did not work the first time. Also, thank you for your patience; you should have received and earlier answer. I was not online and just signed on and was notified of your question, so I answered it.

------------------------------------------------

Hi, Leigh.

I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

------------

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 8 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hello again, Leigh.

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitty. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?

Hi again, Leigh.

I never heard back from you about how your furry girl is doing. I know you have to wait until the third, to get your social security check and then, take her to the vet. After you do that, would you please let me know the vet's diagnosis and treatment, as I'm concerned for your kitty. Thanks so much!

Right now, can you please let me know if you found my answer helpful, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and assistance. Thank you.

Warmest wishes,

Cher