Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My pomerainia has been hacking consistently for two or 3…

Customer Question
My pomerainia has been hacking...
My pomerainia has been hacking consistently for two or 3 days now. He used to cough and reverse sneeze but now it has gotten terribly worse. He doesnt walk around as much and sleeps most of the time. He had a stroke about a year ago. He lost his sight completely, most of his hearing and most of his sense of smell. His hair for the most part has stopped growing but his belly and leg hair continues. I shave him like a little lion so I can see that his hair is not growing on his back/shoulder/ backside.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is this a dry or wet cough?

Does anything come up when he coughs?

Dry. He seems to get to a climax (unfortunately the only word I can think of) and then he hacks up what appears to be bile. Clear viscous foamy at times

Thanks for the information. Bile is yellow in color. If that is what you are seeing, it is coming from the stomach. With his age, there can be a few reasons for the coughing in a dog his age. It could be as simple as an upper respiratory infection, but a chronic bronchitis, heart problems and lung tumors are all potential concerns. You are limited on what you can give at home for coughing. Robitussin DM (only the DM formulation) is usually safe at 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours. With his age, my recommendation would be to get him to the vet soon to have them listen to the lungs and heart and get x-rays of the chest. Even if this is just an upper respiratory infection, he will need to be on antibiotics. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I think he might have chf. Whenever he gets excited his coughing gets much worse. He's not as active as he used to be but that may ne a result of his blindness hearing etc. I love him bit think he may be suffering more than he needs to ne. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Not sure what to do now

If he has CHF, the cough would most likely be wet and not dry. The coughing with activity may be more indicative of a tracheal problem or even chronic bronchitis. If you feel like his quality of life is no longer god outside of the coughing, then you may need to make a decision to euthanize or not. You know him better than anyone else and know when he is suffering. If you are just basing that on the coughing, I think it is a little too early to decide on that and would pursue more diagnostics or at least antibiotics and cough medication. Pleas let me know if you have other questions.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Pomeranian is doing and to see if you have any other questions.