Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has stopped eating altogether. I can't afford to take

she has stopped eating altogether. I can't afford to take her to a vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: BJ probably around 4 years old we got her from animal control about 2 years ago
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: BJ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about BJ?
Customer: she is very skinny. She is an outdoor cat and we didn't notice that she wasn't eating until recently because we had other cats t it was the other cats chasing her off so we re homed the other cats

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any change to her breathing?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she has gradually been losing weight but we thought it was due to another cat we had keeping her from the food. She is an outdoor cat and it appeared that she was eating as the food was disappearing, but we stopped seeing her eat. About a week ago I started feeding her wet food and at first she ate that but now has stopped eating altogether
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she may have eaten something bad for her as she is an outdoor cat. I gave her .10cc of penicillin yesterday and this morning or 2/10 of a cc. I have her locked in the tack room now. I have been trying to force feed her a mixture of goats milk and pureed cat food, but last night she vomited some back up
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I literally cannot afford to take her to the vet, nor can I do the phone call. I just don't have the money and am trying to treat her with what I have here on the farm. I have dexamethasone as well as pennicillan

Hello again,

Please disregard the call offer as it is not from me but an automatic site prompt.

I have just received your reply and will have a read then comment in full shortly.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she did not potty at all in the last 24 hours

Hello again,

First, right off the bat let me say that you need to avoid Dexamethasone like the plaque here since its not indicated and could make her situation much worse. The Penicillin can be used daily but you need to calculate the dose based on her weight and the IU per millilitre strength of preparation she has had. Generally speaking, we use 1500IU per pound of BJ's weight daily. Now with appetite loss in the cat, we do have some worries. Common causes we need to consider include dental/oral pain (ie bad teeth, oral trauma, etc) bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Furthermore, at her age there would also be worry of systemic organ issues (ie kidney or liver disease, cancer, etc). And just to note, if she isn't eating she won't have much stool to pass.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, to counter nausea, can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like h boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Or if she cannot be tempted, then we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and we need to head off fatty liver syndrome making this worse.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, I wanted to note that if funds are a concern, there is help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get a local vet involved using one of the above options to give her the best chance of surviving this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
right now BJ probably weighs between 3 to 4 pounds, could you tell in 1/10 of a cc how much I should be giving, the bottle says not to exceed 3000 units per pound of body weight which I assume is what you were talking about 1500 units
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
her gums are almost completely white
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
she is tenting a little, but it does go back to normal slowly

Oh no,

That is certainly not something we wanted here for BJ.

The reason I asked about gum color initially is because its usually a key sign of severe/life threatening issues. And to see it white here is not good news. It suggests anemia from a bleed, blood parasites, secondary to FIV or Feline leukaemia virus, or even internal bleeding. We can see it with heart and lung issues but those sound less likely unless she is breathing heavier. So, this is a very unfortunate finding and I do feel we need to use one of those low cost/free options I noted to get her seen here. Else we may lose her. Though just to note, for the Penicillin, you need to divide 4500 be the IU/ml strength to get the dose to give. But again we have some more serious issues and I have to be honest and say I do feel the antibiotic is going to do much here for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.