Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is taking Methimazole for Hyperthyroidism but ive

Customer Question
Cat is taking Methimazole...

Cat is taking Methimazole for Hyperthyroidism but ive noticed excessive urine output ,,, is this normal due to the meds he's taking... also drinking more water than normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Yanni - age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yanni?

No.. we do have a regular Vet who i will contact tomorrow... just curious

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Yanni is being treated for hyperthyroidism. You have been noticing excessive urine output and wondering if this is a result of the medication. Can you please tell me how long Yanni has been taking this medication? That will help me answer your question. Thanks.

medication started July 18,2017

Thank you for that information. This medication is not known for causing increased urine output as a potential side effect. The concern I would have is that either the hyperthyroidism is not fully resolved with the treatment or there is a concurrent illness. One possibility that is often seen with hyperthyroidism is chronic kidney disease. The hyperthyroidism hides the signs of kidney disease. Once the thyroid is properly treated then the signs of kidney disease begin to show up, which includes urinating more frequently.

Since Yanni recently started this medication, the kidneys need to be monitored for signs of disease. About a month after starting the medication, a blood test to monitor kidney values (i.e. BUN, creatinine) should be performed. If the values go up then an adjustment to the thyroid dose is made and treatment for kidney disease is started. If the thyroid value (i.e. T4) is still elevated then an adjustment needs to be made to the dose. It is also possible Yanni has something unrelated going on such as a urinary infection or crystals, so a urine test would also be recommended. I recommend to have this discussion with your veterinarian and schedule a recheck blood test for Yanni as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

How is Yanni doing?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian