Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Oh my! So much. I adopted a cat about a year ago. She was…

Customer Question
Oh my! So much...

Oh my! So much. I adopted a cat about a year ago. She was 2.5 at the time. She was outside when my friends found her. She is a bitter on occasion and affectionate on occasion. She will sit in my lap in the evenings. I teach two days a week and so adopted a baby kitten about two months ago. I did all of the things you're supposed to do. I introduced them very very slowly. First behind closed doors, then smells, then sight, then I got a crate and crated the kitten for a few hours at t time. Finally I let him out. Older cat is a female, younger kitten is a male. It was world War III, chasing each other, hissing, meowing (mostly on my older female's part) and then finally the little one end up on top of the older female and female is howling. I ended it. I have tried to let out the little one four times now, but it always ends the same, chasing, hissing, and little cat on top of bigger resident cat and howling. So they have been leading very separate lives. One in the bedroom with door locked and one in the living room. It's not a good situation. The very odd thing about it is in the morning after I feed the older female, she gets into the crate as if to say, I want to see the little one. (Even though I hate him.) I don't know how to resolve this or even if there is a solution. Thanks for your input. Siri

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?

Little male kitten is Oliver. Older female cat is Rosie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

He is now about five months old. Very affectionate and also VERY active.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you.

No problem, busy typing out your answer now ...

Hello again,

I am very much a cat person myself, what you describe can sometimes be a difficult problem to address but with patience it can often be eventually resolved. This is something I have been asked about many times in the past by clients at my clinic. My advice to them was usually along the following lines :

1. Get a wire cat basket or crate big enough to comfortably hold your adult cat plus a litter tray and a bowl for food and water. You then place the cage in an area where the cats would normally wander in the house and you put the adult cat and the kitten in the cage on alternate days so there is always one cat in the cage. In this way your adult cat will get used to the sight and smell of the new kitten { And vice versa } without them getting at each other, also the new cat smells get through an area of the house where they normally wander. This will give them an impression of a shared territory which is the object of the exercise. Keeping them apart is not a desirable solution

2. After a week of this you then try and feed the cats in the same room each day with the bowls far apart. You will have to be there to supervise and be ready to control them. If this works start gradually bringing the food bowls back together.

3. After that try having the cats together in one room while you are there to supervise perhaps in the evening when you are watching TV and so gradually reduce the time each cat is in the cage until they start getting on. Having said that there will always be the odd scrap that's normal because kittens are so playful and will annoy your adult cat given the chance.

The above sounds quite complicated and labour intensive and can take quite a few weeks in total, but I can assure you I have had good results with this method quite a few times in the past.

4. One more thing which can really help is Feliway which you can use in conjunction with the above plan, again this has been known to work well amongst my clients in precisely the situation you find yourself in. Here is a link to this product : LINK

Hopefully I have given you a few ideas, also I should be available online for you the next couple of hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.