Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is fine. I need to know how I can keep cat fleas from…

Customer Question
My cat is fine...

My cat is fine. I need to know how I can keep cat fleas from biting me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 2 years old and I put Advantage 11 on her every month.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pebbles?

Not really.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this. There are two main considerations at this time. The first is that the population of fleas in your home may be resistant to the imidacloprid in the Advantage. Many populations of fleas are now resistant to both imidacloprid found in Advantage and fipronil found in Frontline (and generics). The second is that you'll need to treat your premesis because eggs that those fleas have laid have now hatched into larvae which then hatch into hungry baby fleas.

It would be prudent to switch to one of the newer flea products in a different class of insecticide such as Activyl (indoxacarb), Cheristin (spinetoram), Comfortis (spinosad), or Vectra (dinotefuran & pyriproxyfen). These are all prescription products available through Pebble's vet. You can purchase the oral Capstar (nitenpyram) over the counter in pet/feed stores, however, which will kill any fleas on Pebbles within minutes of your dosing her. Be sure to treat your premises with an over the counter area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray containing the IGR methoprene. The IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas and so the life cycle of the flea is broken. Avoid inefficient foggers which can't reach into cracks and crevices containing flea eggs nor under furniture where fleas prefer to lay their eggs. Please consider a professional fumigation if you prefer. Make sure that the professional service applies an IGR as well as a flea adulticide. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.