Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is salavsting excessively out of nowhere. He just got

over pancreatitis and his face...
My cat is salavsting excessively out of nowhere. He just got over pancreatitis and his face looks a little swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He's 1 his name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shinx?
Customer: I don't think so
Salivating*
9/22/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Ok thank you very much.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Shinx has this problem, hopefully this is something minor, but lets cover things in more depth ...

Excess salivation is something which you see in the cat from time to time, but before you will have any chance of treating it you will have to come to some form of possible diagnosis as there are quite a few possible causes of this condition. While I cannot be 100% sure of the diagnosis via the internet I can make a list for you of all the possible causes of excess salivation I have personally seen in my years as a vet in practice. What your cat is suffering from will more than likely be on this list, it is possible that your cat in your cat's age group has a viral infection which is causing ulcers in the mouth or it could be a result of something the cat has eaten such as some house plant. If I wanted to make a list of what would cause excess salivation in the cat it would go something like this :

1. A foreign body like a chicken bone or fish hook stuck in the mouth or throat.

2. Ulcers or wounds in the mouth and on the tongue.

3. Poisons, certain plants in the garden, chemicals from the environment.

4. Infections, bacterial or viral centered in the mouth, throat or salivary gland.

5. Salivary gland defects such as sialoceles.

6. It is very rare but cancers of the mouth and throat are possible. { Very rare indeed in your cat's age group }

7. I have to tell you that I have seen a number of cases of excess salivation where I have not been able to determine a cause but they have slowly resolved over a couple of days without intervention or treatment.

My advice : Have a good look in your cat's mouth for any obvious cause such a sliver of chicken bone lodged or ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue, if there is nothing obvious and your cat is otherwise quite healthy you would be taking very little risk in just observing him for a couple of days and then having a local vet check him over if these symptoms continue.

But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Shinx's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you so much we are going to try and get him to the vet tomorrow.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I looked in his mouth I couldn't see anything down the throats but everything in the mouth looks normal and he's acting normal he's being very playful and has energy and has been eating, drinking and going to the bathroom. But there are puddles from his saliva.
I was able to look down his theist it didn't look like anything was in there and it wasn't red or inflamed and his tongue looked normal.

If there is nothing visible in his mouth such as a foreign object or ulceration then this could well be down to something he ate, maybe some plant material of some kind. If this is the cause then in many cases it will slowly resolve on it's own over the next 48 hours.

But keep a good eye on him ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you very much.

No problem, good luck with your cat ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?