Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just brought home 2 kittens. I have kept them completely…

I just brought home...

I just brought home 2 kittens. I have kept them completely separate from my 10 year old cat. She has only seen them a couple times. She has stopped eating. She Is still drinking water but won t touch her food. She won t even eat het favorite people food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Sweetie is my 10 year old and the 2 kittens are Smudge and Dizzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

She is using the cat box but it looks like only per or maybe diarrhea

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How long has Sweetie not been eating? How long ago did these kittens get brought into the house? Is she having any vomiting?

I think 3 days now. I noticed it for sure yesterday and today. She has vomited once but it was very little. The kittens were brought home last Saturday
Not sure if this is normal

Could she have eaten some of the kitten's food right away and got an upset stomach? When did she vomit?

No she has not been able to get the kitten food. She is extremely finicky and only eats one kind of car food.
She threw up early this morning.

Ok. Some cats can definitely get stressed when new additions to the house are made. So for her to go off food with their arrival isn't surprising. For her to start vomiting though, that is a little more eye catching. Some can make themselves really sick by not eating for 3-5 days and they start to get a situation called fatty liver. This can happen in any cat that isn't eating. They start to break down body fat for energy and it overwhelms the liver and causes lipid deposits there. They start to get jaundice to the white of the eye, the lips and the inner ears (these are typically the easiest places to see it). Could she have eaten something that has upset her that isn't realized? Could she be sick for some other reason? Honestly, if she's not eating by tomorrow or the vomtiing continues, she should be seen by your vet to check her over. They can at the least get something sent home to hopefully settle her stomach and to help her through this transition.

Thank you.

Give her some time to rest here tonight and then start to have the food and water available again. I would give her plenty of separation from the kittens and try to reduce all stress that they may be producing. Hopefully things will turn the corner here and everything will start to get better!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?