Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a cat and a 6 month old kitten. We have 2 litter

We have a cat and a 6 month old kitten. We have 2 litter boxes which we keep clean. Kitten was doing well using the box but is now pooping either right beside it or behind the shower. Still peeing in the box. Help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Clementine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clementine?
Customer: No- she was healthy at her most recent check up

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thanks!

Hello again,

This is a very frustrating problem I know, however I have worked out a plan of action for you, this is drawn from the practice handout which I give to clients where their cats have behaved like your one, some of these solutions have worked well.

1. If Clementine got a clean bill of health at her last check over then logically what you are dealing with must be a behavioural problem of some sort, and this is actually not uncommon in the cat. { I normally suggesting checking these cats over as a first move in case it is a health issue }

2. When you clean up after where your cat has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to Clementine it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to her then she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

3. Best advice is to keep the litter trays well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason she does not use the trays. Having an additional litter tray in another part of the house is always a good idea as well.

4.. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden centre instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring her back into her litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

5. This could be your best idea : Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, another cat in the house or neighbourhood etc. They may just have seen another cat through the window or smelled them under the front door. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway and it has helped them a lot. Here is a link to this product so you can check it out : LINK

6. Some cats respond to low level tranquillisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though. These are prescription drugs so you will have to talk this over with your vet.

I hope I have given you a few ideas on how to handle this frustrating problem. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott