Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Cat ate (licked) at an unknown product (but probably Miracle

cat ate (licked) at an unknown product (but probably Miracle -Gro. It looked like the salt that would form if you spilled salt water on your (wooden) deck. He really seemed to like it as he returned to it twice after being re-directed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: He has been off lately. no physical symptoms, just lethargy and the female who is much older has become more dominant. His name is ***** ***** he is 3 y/o
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Claus?
Customer: normally very active young male, dominates and plays with female (a little too aggressive really). She would bite and hiss. But of late, none of that. No symptoms like bad breath or diarrhea, vomiting. He may have lost a little weight but I'm not really sure. Also he may be drinking extra water. But no bad breath and he eats pretty much everything as usual (maybe a little slow coming to get it). Like I said symptoms are subtle. Really lethargy is the only thing

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....this is going to definitely require a vet visit...as you pointed out lethargy is very non- specific sign of a problem....

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
OK vet visit, lastly is Miracle gro poison to cats?

But I would strongly suggest that you go ahead and have your vet do an exam but also ask for a complete blood count, electrolytes, chem panel, urinalysis and a felv and FIV test along with heartworm test....

I ma checking my toxicology data base.....hold on....

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
ok holding on, thanks

not a straight yes or no....when did your cat lick this?

what day, how long ago?

how long ago did your cat lick this?

are you there?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
well not sure how many times. his behavior has been off for awhile. I am recovering from rotator cuff surg so I haven't been paying close attention, but maybe a few weeks.
So yesterday I decided that his behavior was off and I would take him to vet. Then I was sitting outside on my deck with him and noticed him licking what looks like dried salt water, kind of a white crystal so i began checking
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
neighbor upstairs from me feeds plants with miracle gro, so I started looking on the web which is how I found you

ok, the reason I ask is because usually the first symptoms with miracle grow are vomiting and gastrointestinal symptoms....

so whatever is going on with your kitty I don't think related to miracle grow...

but if consumed in high enough amount will be toxic...but you should see vomiting...

does that make sense?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thanks, I'll take him to vet. BTW the sling I wear is black and about the size of him, just wondering
thanks you

can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

let me know if you need additional help...DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B