Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat started loosing her hair about 6 months ago when we…

Customer Question
My cat started loosing...

My cat started loosing her hair about 6 months ago when we bought another cat in to the home.we moved 2 months ago and now she is pooping outside the litter box.She sleeps all the time

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Missie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Missie?

Missie

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where is she loosing hair at?

Is she scratching often?

Is her stool normal, or is is soft, loose, watery, mucousy, bloody, etc?

On her hind quarters
She never scratches but is always cleaning herself she is immaculate
Hard and dark but it always has been
Would this be on top of the other charges

Thanks. Would what be on top of the other charges?

the $31.00 it said I would be charged

As far as I know, that would be the only charge, but the experts who answer the questions don't really have anything to do with that. We just list a bank of questions to chose from. Are you referring to a phone call request?

When will the vet call

As I mentioned previously, I am not able to make phone calls. I can opt out and to let another expert take over that may be able to fulfill that request, or we can continue our conversation online.

I wasn't sure if you wanted me to opt out or wanted to continue online, so I will try to give you as much information as I can, and hopefully it will help. If the hair loss is in the areas he is licking, the skin has no sores or red, and the hair just looks like it was shaved very close; that is usually a condition called psychogenic alopecia, which is an anxiety disorder that cats often get. If there are sores on the skin, he is not licking in that area specifically, and his skin is red; then chances are there is an allergy or a flea (even if you do not see them) problem. If he is indoor only, skin mites would be unlikely, but if he does go outside, then he may need to be checked for mites. If the stool is normal, then that most likely is due to anxiety as well and probably related to the move. It is common in cats. I do tell people that if there is any inappropriate elimination to always make sure your vet rules out any medical issues because sometimes that is the first sign they show you that something is wrong. If all behavioral/anxiety related, he will most likely need to be on some type of medication for that, at least for the short term. I would get some Feliway diffusers to put around the house. It is a synthetic cat pheromone that can help with anxiety. Make sure he has plenty of places to perch and climb and that he has plenty of play time and activity. They have some toys that are like puzzles for cats. That can help in some instances. If there was any change to the litter or litter boxes, I would change that back. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Missie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian