Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 5 year old persian. Recused from a hoarder breeder

I have a 5 year old persian. Recused from a hoarder breeder in a basement of 32 other persian cats. She is finally socializing and terribly happy after the 5 yrs spent in a cage. But, she is vomiting every day once a day. She hsa had a complete physical and blood work and shows all ok. So vet thought hairballs from neglect...treated her for that changed food to hills pres hairball then hills pres allergy now hills prescrip digestive... no change at all. Tryed Famotidine and koalin pectin. No change. She is grinding teeth and drooling every am. Other than that she is the happiest cleanest cat we have ever had. She has great bowel movements and no diarrhea. She keeps hydrated very well drinking lots of water after vomiting. We are using slippery elm bark with makes her so extremely happy and energetic. Noticed when we gave her the Famotidine it make her skiddish and lethargic...didnt help vomiting.
Hi this is drb and I would be happy to help you with this. So obviously your kitty needs a gastrointestinal work up which would include in her case chest X-rays to rule out mega esophagus and abdominal ultrasound to rule out intraabdominal causes of vomiting. If you don't want to do all that then I would try the following. Put her on science diet sensitive stomach food and ask your vet if they will do a trial of 1 mg budesonide daily for 4-6 weeks along with cerenia daily for a month. If this clears her up then stay with budesonide and diet and try to wean off cerenia. If cannot successfully get off cerenia then take at 1/2 dose 5 days weekly. Hope that helps you and let me know if you need additional help as I check my computer nightly. Please rate my set as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much. Drb

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B