Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

All of a sudden his stomach swollen and when they took

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden his stomach swollen and when they took altrasound they said no infection but from the blood test they told me he had fip they took sample of his liquid and will be sent to U.K. The results of which will be known after ten days he is a young male cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?

The dr gave me antibiotic only but does not heal the fip what I give to help him please help me I love this cat

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Dr. Hala. I'm afraid that FIP is a terminal condition if that's what has developed with your cat. Can you share a copy of the bloodwork that's been performed? Did your vet tell you when the results from the UK would be available?

The answer comes as you and I discuss your concerns. Your situation is a bit more involved than most, so it's not one where we can send a recommendation without discussion. Alas, there is no medication that cures FIP and most all cases are eventually terminal, as mentioned above. It may help to discuss this further based on what information the newest test result reveals. Did your vet tell you when the results from the UK would be available?

I attached the blood test earlier and the results will be ready after two weeks

I saw above, thank you.

What the blood test tell u
I slept because two days thinking of my cat sorry

Your companion has a low lymphocyte count and high neutrophil count, common with infection. Albumin and Alkphos are both low, as well as blood urea nitrogen and sodium levels. The additional sheet shows what I believe to be the total protein level of the fluid removed from the abdomen which is a strong indication of wet FIP (known as effusive). Your vet is correct that there is no definitive test, but has performed what we usually use for determination. FIP is mostly a diagnosis of ruleouts where we rule out all other known causes and when FIP is left it's the diagnosis. Many vets feel comfortable sending corona titers off (which may be what the test is that will be available in 2 weeks) which often show strong elevation, as a result.

He's a handsome boy, though he certainly feels unwell.

he had car accident and I took him to dr nonie in bahrain to fix his jaw and tail

I think Dr. Nonie is doing a great job with his care. They've offered precisely what we typically offer to suspect FIP cats as far as diagnostics.

What does wet fip means
Does this mean that he will die
I read there is dry fip and wet fip

It's a form of FIP which results in fluid buildup in the abdomen, dry FIP does not cause the fluid development in the abdomen. It's the suspect reason your cat has a swollen abdomen. Unfortunately, if this is FIP it's very likely he's going to eventually pass, yes.

He was along with 50 cats dies this mean he got it from them or he had it and will give infection to others

FIP is believed to be a mutation of a corona virus. There's no way to be sure where he contracted the corona virus or that he passed it on, but it is unlikely for others to die from it. They have to be exposed to the virus AND have the specific mutation that occurs for FIP to happen. It's very rare.

He is one year and a half my heart is broken for him
In Europe they could not find curement for this disease

I don't think they have anything worldwide. I'm in the USA and we still haven't cured FIP. There's a new treatment for dry FIP that's been tried but I believe all cases died within a few years even if they survived longer than anticipated if without medication.

In my cat case how long they can live
Currently I am doing force feeding
For human being when Someone is sich they say honey heals many diseases can I give him honey
Will this liquid remain there in his stomach for long or can be reduced over days and when it is reduced what happens next he will pass away

Typically a few weeks, tops, once force-feeding is necessarily.

You can give him honey, though I doubt it's going to help.

It can be drained off, but it usually reoccurs within a few days, at most.

He will likely stop permitting force feeding and continue to decline. If this happens I would highly recommend euthanasia.

Hello still waiting for the reply thank u

I replied last night, did you receive it? Here's that reply.

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago

Checking in. How is Cookie doing?