Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have noticed that my cat appears to be tired and not

Hi, i have noticed...

Hi, i have noticed that my cat appears to be tired and not eating as much as usual over the past couple of days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

She is called cindy and is probably over 12 years old i think but usually eats a decent amount and is eager to eat but the last 2 days she doesnt appear to be interested in food and appears to be sleeping more during the day than usual

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cindy?

I think thats all at the moment, just wondering what could cause that and if it could be anything serious

9/21/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does she seem to be losing weight at all?

She doesn't appear to have lost any weight so far that I can see. I have just noticed that she does not seem to be interested in food as she usually is and has been sleeping more over the past 2 days.

Okay thanks for the additional information. What does she eat dry food or canned food? A couple of issues that can cause a cat to lose appetite in food can include a dental issue. So if she is less interested in eating dry food that may be a cause. But also since she is an older cat there are other issues that may have to be rule out as well. Common issues that can affect older cats include kidney disease, hyperthyroid disease, diabetes etc. These can be easily ruled out with some labwork

She usually eats a mixture of dry food and canned type food. I have noticed that she does seem alot less interested in dry food most of the time so have switched the food up and she usually eats that with no problems. But over the past couple of days even the softer food doesn't seem to interest her. What do you think would be the best thing to do? Give it a couple more days and if it continues, take her physically to a vet?

Yes I would try to offer her some smelly fishy canned food to see if that can stimulate her appetite. If she worsens or still show no interest then I would recommend taking her to your veterinarian to be evaluated for something potentially more serious

ok, thank you for your help. Are there any other signs or symptoms that i could check for to indicate what the problem may be before taking her to the vet? Or is it best to just monitor her activity and eating overall?

You are welcome. It depends on what is going on if you may see any other signs. Some cats can have those issues and just show a decreased appetite. Otherwise you may start seeing inappropriate urination which could indicate diabetes or kidney disease,. Or you may start see weight loss which could indicate hyperthyroidism

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Ok, thanks for your assistance. I will see how she goes. Thanks again!

You are welcome. Wish the best of luck for Cindy!

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian