Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female kitten 3 months old had a Feline Leuk/FIV combo…

Customer Question
My female kitten 3...

My female kitten 3 months old had a Feline Leuk/FIV combo today along with her FVRCP second vaccine today. She has been very lethargic and sleeping all day. She cries when I pick her up like she is in pain. Are there adverse reactions from these vaccines?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivy?

She is not eating or drinking.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Ivy seems unwell, but hopefully this is not so serious however I have worked out an answer for you below.

I do wonder if what you are seeing is a minor vaccine reaction related to the kitten shots your cat recently had. The situation is that vaccine reactions can and do occur but of course I cannot accurately advise on individual cases over the internet so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your kitten over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your cat will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in your dog's case.

2. Mild reactions : These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These kittens feel very sorry for themselves but on balance the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that Ivy may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnosis are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep her eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there can be no guarantees my experience is that the majority of these cats slowly return to normal over a couple of days without any special treatment.

Of course if your kitten deteriorates further or you become more concerned you should have her checked over by your local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ivy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ivy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect vaccine reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.