Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

OK. I have a 9 year old tabby-mix cat. She grooms herself

OK. I have a...
OK. I have a 9 year old tabby-mix cat. She grooms herself all the time and therefore coughs up a lot of hairballs. I'd LOVE to brush her but she won't let me. (I got her as a stray 9 years ago, got her spayed and completed her shots and she's strictly and indoor cat.). We had to leave town for almost a week for a funeral. We had a neighbor check on her daily - replenish her food and water. When we got home, her retching (like for hairballs) has greatly increased. I have found a few hairballs, so I think that's what it is. I read previous entries and just now removed her food (dry). She's emptied her water bowl THREE times today. No diarrhea in her cat box. Poor pitiful thing yowls/groans now before she retches; I know she's got to be sore. She wants to cuddle, which is unusual for her. What should I do? Prophylaxis at home? Vet?
9/20/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Any other probles going on with her?

It's been going on for two days. No others problems that I know of.
I do NOT wish to talk on the phone. This is sufficient. That way, I can re-read.
Are you there?

Sorry about the delay for some reason this website was giving me problems so I was unable to respond so I had to switch browsers

Can you please answer my questions? Otherwise, I will consult another "expert."

As far as the hairballs are concerned you can try hair ball treats or a hairball treatment such as laxatone which you can put on their paws so they are forced to lick it off and see if that helps. However I am concerned about the excessive drinking so you may want to have her evaluated for that. With her age I would be concerned about a few things such as kidney disease, diabetes, etc.

Thank you.
Is laxatone available at pet stores?

You are welcome. Yes you can get laxatone or hairball treats at most pet stores like petsmart or petco

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian