Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat licked ortho off a dirty basement floor. He won't eat…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat licked ortho...
Hi, my cat licked ortho off a dirty basement floor. He won't eat or drink much at all! He's losing weight? What should I do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sassy ate something off a basement floor and is losing weight and not eating or drinking normally. Can you please confirm if Sassy ate Ortho Pest Control? I just want to confirm that this is the product in question. Do you happen to know about how much Sassy ate? When did this happen?

ortho. Licked it 3-4 times September 4th
ortho. Licked it 3-4 times September 4th. Are you there? I didn't get a reply yet ...

I just received your response. I am typing my reply now. Please bear with me a few more minutes

Thank you for your patience. Ortho Pest Control is a product that contains the ingredient "cholecalciferol," which is the active form of vitamin D. This results in excessive calcium levels in the body that can cause mineralization in organs like the kidneys and cause damage. Elevated phosphorus and calcium levels are observed within about 12 hours. These minerals are not routinely scanned for on a blood panel, so the veterinarian has to specifically request these values to be checked. I recommend to ask if the veterinarian looked for phosphorus or calcium on the blood panel.

Early clinical signs of toxicosis include loss of appetite, lethargy, and weakness. Other clinical signs may include vomiting, constipation or diarrhea, black tarry stools (i.e. melena), vomiting blood, salivating, loss of function of the back legs, and hyperthermia. If the calcium and phosphorus values are indeed within normal limits and you are only observing a loss of appetite, then the treatment is to decrease the feelings of nausea. The best treatment for this is going to be a medication that your veterinarian will have access. Cerenia is a much better medication for nausea than Pepcid, which is relatively weak. You will need to use a stronger anti-nausea medication such as Cerenia. Other treatments that Sassy will likely need are fluid therapy and vitamin B injections because of her prolonged nausea. Vitamin B injections are given weekly, but fluids and Cerenia are given daily. They also make Cerenia as a tablet.

Finally, there are prescription foods that might be more appetizing to Sassy at this time. Your veterinarian should have access to a "critical care" diet such as Hill's a/d. I recommend to offer this to Sassy to see if she is interested. This is given to cats that are very sick and can often pick up an appetite. There is also an appetite stimulant called, "Mirtazapine," which can sometimes work to increase an appetite.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Just checking in on Sassy. How is he doing after the Ortho incident? Is everything OK?