Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat sometimes her back leg falls asleep, Ginger and 14,

Customer Question
My cat sometimes her...

My cat sometimes her back leg falls asleep

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Ginger and 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

She is alert and eating and drinking and she comes out quickly

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

So, when this happens, what exactly does she do?

How often does this occur?

Are there any other problems that he has?

When she is laying down. It happens 2 or 3 times a year beside that is perfectly fine. She eats drinks and plays as normal afterwards

So, she limps on the leg? Drags it? Can she feel it if you pinch the toes or between the toes firmly? How soon does it return to completely normal? Is it normal all of a sudden, or does it gradually return to normal?

2 mins
gradually
limps on it not drag

Thanks for the information. Chances are there is an entrapped nerve or an inflammatory condition around the a nerve. In many cases, it can be a problem with the sciatic nerve. A laterally herniated disc can be the cause, but most likely it is that is not the case. It probably isn't a tumor if it happens sporadically, and it doesn't really sound like a localized seizure, although I cannot rule that out. I would have your vet do a full orthopedic neurologic exam and even consider getting x-rays. If it only happens 2-3 times a year, there may not be anything that really needs to be done about it. If it happens far more often, then we would usually put them on some anti-inflammatory medication. Starting a kitty glucosamine supplement daily wouldn't be a bad idea either. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Ginger is doing and to see if you have any other questions.