Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is a special needs, indoor cat with deformed front legs.

Customer Question
She is a special...

She is a special needs, indoor cat with deformed front legs. She is able to jump up on my bed and the couch to lie in the windows to watch 'kitty cable' ... the birds and squirrels.I got her and her special needs (same problem with the front legs) nearly 4 years ago. All of a sudden, she is pooping and peeing everywhere, especially my bed. I think I may have found the answer on your site .. my granddaughters come upstairs to bake with me on weekends and both cats hide. Also, I tried a cheaper litter ... I will go out today and get the regular litter, l will scrub out their box and see if that helps. The box is a covered one, as the only place I have to put it is in the kitchen; my apartment is small. Smoochie is not in any pain, her urine is clear but there's apparently something that she just doesn't like.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the 'kitty cable''s name?

Just lying in the living room window watching the birds, squirrels, all the wildlife

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the 'kitty cable'?

No,, I don't think so .... they both like lying in the windows

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your cat.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience since my replies tend to be on the lengthy side. Deb

As you may know, cats use urination and defecation as a means of communication; when an otherwise healthy cat (despite her special needs status) starts to inappropriately urinate and defecate outside of the litter box, then psychological stress can certainly be a trigger (she hides when your granddaughter is around) although litter issues may be a focus as well (the cheaper litter you purchased).

It is important to rule out an underlying medical reason for the inappropriate urination issues so I would encourage you to have urine evaluated by your vet if the problem continues but more often than not, when cats are defecating and urinating outside of the box, it is a behavioral problem.

In addition to returning back to the litter you were using as well as cleaning the box (with soap and water), I have a few additional suggestions which may help:

1. Use of Feliway, a natural pheromone which may help restore a sense of calm and reduce anxiety/stress especially when your granddaughter is around. It's available on the internet and most pet stores as a diffuser or spray or a collar that the cats wear. There is another oral product which works in a similar manner called Composure Chews (Vetriscience) which may also be useful for some cats.
2. Use of Cat Attract in the box
3. Use of enzymatic cleaners on the places where she has urinated/defecated if you haven't already used these products. Anti-Icky Poo, MagicZymes, Zero Odor or Urine Off are examples.

4. You may already do this since you live in a small apartment but be scrupulous about scooping the litter multiple times during the day, if possible, and the entire box cleaned weekly with soap and water; avoid harsh smelling chemicals.

I hope this helps and that by making a few changes, her inappropriate behavior will cease. Deb