Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Maybe has been exposed to boric acid. What should I do? No…

Customer Question
Maybe has been exposed...

Maybe has been exposed to boric acid. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

No appieite and lithargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Orange cicle and about 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Orange cicle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Just on monday was nuetered

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Orange Cicle is lethargic and not eating, and may have ingested boric acid.

Sodium tetraborate (also known as boric acid or Borax), is a fairly safe chemical. It is a desiccant, but a kitty would have to eat huge quantities to even see significant stomach upset and that would be the only thing you are likely to see.

I doubt that his symptoms are related to ingesting boric acid.

They may or may not be related to his neuter.

Please check his incision. If he is running a fever, his incision looks very red, or the area around it is very swollen and/or draining a purulent discharge then he may have a secondary infection. Those are uncommon, but they do happen.

Or perhaps his symptoms are unrelated to either one of those things.

He may be lethargic because he is weak from not eating, or secondary to metabolic effects of whatever is causing him not to eat.

Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.

I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.

When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to become quite lethargic and lose their appetite.

If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.

He needs immediate veterinary care.

If he seems to be urinating fine then loss of appetite can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) with internal organ failure, internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

If he hasn't eaten normally in several days I am very concerned about him. Because he isn't drinking well either he will quickly become dehydrated, and as his liver breaks down fats for energy to live he may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. Hepatic lipidosis occurs as the liver is overwhelmed by fat metabolism and is unable to perform its usual daily functions.

Ideally he would see a veterinarian today if this has been going on for more than 48-72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.

If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into him orally. You can also offer tuna juice and clear, low salt broth to drink.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it more palatable, easy to lap up and swallow, and get in more fluids.

If he continues to not eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.