Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How do I help my adult cat who has a watery eye with

Customer Question
discharge from this and squints...
How do I help my adult cat who has a watery eye with discharge from this and squints because of this?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Sweetie has watery discharge from the eyes and is squinting. I am sorry to hear about that. Are you observing any sneezing as well from Sweetie?

At first I thought I had heard her once or maybe twice sneezing but not often. She is an indoor kitty and yet does have chances to freely go outside on to a closed in deck, Sweetie and the other two kitty girls love to go out there to sun themselves as they lay comfortably in patio chairs. As well as to watch the songbirds come and eat from the feeder hanging from the cover of this deck. Yet these kitties and I have an arrangement where the doorway out on to this front deck a mesh cover goes across the entire doorway, so they may go inside and outside as they choose. Other than this these sweet kitty girls of mine don't go outside.

Thank you for that information. The cause of watery eyes and sneezing can consist of an airway allergen, infection (usually herpesvirus), or a polyp in the nasal passage, which is common in middle age cats. Herpesvirus infections are quite common in cats that have a recurrent history of sneezing throughout the course of their life, so if this has been observed before with Sweetie then I would expect this to be the cause. Allergies can be treated with an antihistamine like Benadryl. You can give Sweetie up to 10-15 miligrams every 12 hours. This would equal 2-3 teaspoons of children's Benadryl. If the sneezing persists after this treatment then having sweetie assessed for a nasopharyngeal polyp would be a good next option.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

How is Sweetie's eye doing today? Is it still watery?

Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sweetie. How is everything going?

Scott Perry