Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is not eating and has been vomiting, a different cat…

Customer Question
My cat is not...

My cat is not eating and has been vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

A different cat food but we switched him back and he is still not eating or drinking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

His ame is mickey he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Mickey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mickey?

He has always been small and always been pickey about what he eas

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok I have a little more info: reciently the landlord flea bombed the apartment below us and the all came into our apartment. We have been battling it for a month

I am sorry to hear that Mickey isn't feeling himself today, vomiting, and not wanting to eat.

Is he running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?

Does he have a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure on his belly with your hands?

Vomiting and nausea can be due to stress, a sudden change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something he should not (like a piece of a toy or string), inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.

Please check the litter box to make sure that there are the normal amounts of urine being passed. Male cats can get urethral obstructions due to inflammation, mucous and crystal formation. If they cannot urinate they quickly go into kidney failure due to back-pressure on the kidneys from being unable to urinate and that can cause vomiting and abdominal pain. If he is quite uncomfortable with abdominal pressure, has been back and forth to the litter box several times today, and you cannot tell whether he is urinating normally today an emergency veterinary visit is best.

But if he can urinate fine then perhaps this is related to a quick change in diet. Even though you switched him back to his original food the fact that there were two quick diet changes may have been too much for his stomach.

If the flea treatment was more than a week ago, with no lingering smell, then that may not be the issue.

There are some things we can do to try and settle his stomach.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if needed.

I would wait to feed him any food for a good 6-12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broths like low salt chicken broth offered frequently are fine as he needs fluids. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, though most cats don't like the taste.

After his food fast offer him a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.

Once he feels better (no retching for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If Mickey is continuing to vomit, runs a fever, has facial swelling, or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly or you cannot be sure that he is able to urinate, it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration and this could be a true life-threatening medical emergency.

Best of luck with Mickey, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****