Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's been under the bed most of the day but when she comes…

Customer Question
She's been under the...

She's been under the bed most of the day but when she comes out she only goes into the bathroom, her pupils are dilated and she looks like she is spinning her head in small circles trying to see something

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thundercat?

No, she has always been healthy, active and social....in the last 12 hours she has been the opposite of all three

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. This sounds concerning. When you say she is spinning her head, is it like she is bobbing her head around. What does she do when she is in the bathroom?

She moves her head in a circle...if you are watching her head on...it looks like it is going in a complete circle....she also cuts her eyes like she is trying to catch a glimpse of something in the corner of her vision but can't quite get a look. Her pupils are dilated and she has not made a sound which is very unusual for her. When I rescued her, I kept her in this bathroom away from the other pets in the house. All she does is walk in, sit for a few minutes, look around in circles then goes back under the bed. She does not even seem to be resting comfortably under the bed.

Any chance she got into any medications (legal or illegal) or any other toxins? It sounds a little neurologic, have you ever seen her have a seizure?

The only medications we have in the house are over the counter and legal. I have been painting and working on the interior of the house but she stays away from everything for the most part. No, I have not seen her have a seizure

Ok, has she done anything else such as vomiting diarrhea, do her respirations seem normal or is she breathing fast. Does she get into things, chew electric cords.

No vomiting, no diarrhea, she seems a little winded/breathing fast otherwise everything else is normal. No, she does not chew cords etc. She does like to shower with me and is nosy in cabinets etc. She is usually within eyesight but staying under the bed, in the bedroom or in the bathroom are odd in themselves. The disorientation she is exhibiting is what is alarming

So, the symptoms you are describing to me sound like pain or toxin related. I am thinking that she is under the bed because the lights may be bothering her eyes if they are fully dilated. The question is why are they so dilated. I would like you to try to look in her mouth and see if she has any wounds/ulcers on her tongue. When she walks around, is she steady or unsteady? Do you have 24 hour hospitals near you if needed?

No wounds or ulcers....I called our vet and am taking her in first thing in the morning

Hello, are you still there?

I called our vet, she is seeing her first thing in the morning. She does not appear to have any ulcers or wounds in her mouth. If she gets worse during the night, I'll take her to the ER Vet. Thank you for your help

Ok, well good luck with her. Have a good night.