Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat, Puff, just got home from 3 days at the vet being…

Customer Question
Hi there! My cat...

Hi there! My cat, Puff, just got home from 3 days at the vet being treated for a urinary blockage (catheter and all). I brought him home today and noticed that the first thing he did was go to his litter box where he passed one single, very dry dropping and no urine. I later noticed that his belly is very bloated and hard and he is passing occasional gas. He is on about three different medications (an antibiotic, a capsule to relax his urinary tract, and a steroid). He's acting kind of lethargic and I'm really hoping this isn't something to worry about given all we've been through in the past few days. I checked his gums and tongue for discoloration--nothing there so hopefully not kidney failure. Could this be a reaction to stress? I've given him one tbsp of olive oil to try and help things along in the event of conatipation. Though he is not passing urine in his box, it is coming out as a result of the urethra relaxing meds. Thanks in advance!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He is a 1yr old male tuxedo cat

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

In some cats, steroids can cause constipation. As long as urine is coming out and he is not crying in the litter box, I would not be too worried. Try mixing 1 teaspoon of metamucil in with his food once a day and is he starts straining in the litter box, see your veterinarian. He probably had different food at the vet clinic, which could be contributing to gas and constipation.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.