Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old short hair exotic named Alorik, a

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Gary, I have...
Hello Dr. Gary, I have a 12 year old short hair exotic named Alorik, a couple months back, he started walking funny, like his hind legs weren't working properly almost like he was drunk, so I took him to the nearest animal ER and they did a series of physical exercises like, pinching his toes to check if he felt pain and he did, they dragged his hind legs on the edge of the table to see if he would step up which he didn't. I am financially struggling so I refused to do imaging, I couldn't afford it unfortunately, so the vet that saw him told me he most likely had a tumor pressing on his spine but she couldn't be 100% sure unless we did an MRI. Again, I declined cause I really can't afford it, she gave him prednisone and told me to follow up. Alorik, doesn't seem to be in pain and now he is actually walking better, I think he just learned to deal with his disability and I'm just glad he is not in pain. I just really would like to hear your input on this issue and if there's anything (fairly affordable) I should do for my kitty. I was never a cat person until I saw him and I really love him and would be extremely painful to me if I lost him anytime soon. Thank you in advance.
Vera
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

H​i, this is Dr. Denise. I'd like to help you with your concerns regarding Alorik.

I'm sorry to hear that he is having difficulty walking, but it is encouraging that he improved some on Prednisone.

Is he still taking the medication?

G​iven the symptoms you are describing, a spinal tumor is a possibility. Another possibility would be spinal arthritis causing a pinching of the nerves to the back legs.

His improvement on the Prednisone was likely due to a reduction of the inflammation in the area.

Unfortunately, as you know, without further imaging a definitive diagnosis cannot be made.

My recommendation would be continued symptomatic care for Alorik to maximize his quality of life as long as possible.

Meaning, if he improved on Prednisone to keep him on it or restart it if his symptoms worsen. As his condition progresses, he may show signs of pain. If this is the case, he may benefit from another medication called Gabapentin.