Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

15 year old inside only cat. not eating well, but still

Customer Question
15 year old inside...

15 year old inside only cat. not eating well, but still eating. have seen her drinking water and using her box, but is resting and sleeping by water bowl only. not being her usual abnoxious self

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Cleo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleo?

Not really, she is sleeping in normal position, doesn't seem to be in any pain. leaps over baby gate to get to litter box without trouble

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How much is her appetite down by?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any weight loss?

Any excessive drooling?

Any increase in drinking and/or urination?

appetite started to slow down about 4 days ago. she would only lick broth off of wet food and then eat about 1/3 of the food she normally eat. She likes to snack on crunchy food. So have been giving her some extra treats, which she eats and some of the dry food she normally likes. eating about 1/3 of her normalno vomiting and no diarrheayes, she has some weight loss. she is a long hair so weight no visibly apparent, but was thinner when I lifted her up to counter todayno droolingno noticeable increase in drinking or urination

Thanks for the information. Well, it sounds like the main issues are weight loss and a decrease in appetite. Unfortunately, there can be many issues that cause that. If she is not having any increase in drinking or urination, then we can probably rule out kidney failure and diabetes. But, liver problems, pancreatic problems, cancer (anywhere), adrenal gland problems (less common in cats), a foreign body ingestion/obstruction and hyperthyroidism would be the primary concerns. With hyperthyroidism, they usually have an increased appetite, but ~10% have a decreased appetite. Sometimes an oral tumor or an oral inflammatory disease (stomatitis) can be the cause, but I would expect more excessive drooling. My best advice is to have your vet do a thorough exam on her and run some blood work. They may recommend an x-ray or ultrasound as well, but I would definitely start with some blood work. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Cleo is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian