Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female cat has recently been coughing and it's a deep dry…

Customer Question
My female cat has...

My female cat has recently been coughing and it's a deep dry hacking sound not a furball sounding cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's going on to 8yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Keke-honey?

Almost 8years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keke-honey?

Perfect weight and build she has been on killing spree of young rats recently

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. There are a few reasons for cats coughing. Furballs are always possible, but she may have something else lodged in her throat. It could also be an upper respiratory infection, feline asthma, heart worm disease, heart problems (coughing not as common of a sign in cats as in dogs), a lung worm, lung tumors (less likely with her age) and pneumonia (usually has more of a wet cough). While a good physical exam and listening to the chest may help to rule out some of these issues, it is impossible to determine the exact cause without an x-ray (and possibly blood work). The best course of action would be to have your vet take a listen to her chest. At the very least, if she seems to be acting normal otherwise, they can put her on a course of antibiotics to see if it resolves. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

Hello. I was just following up to see how Keke-honey is doing and to see if you have any other questions.