Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Rescued a Siamese cat that had been dumped on July 3, 2017.

Customer Question
Rescued a Siamese cat...

Rescued a Siamese cat that had been dumped on July 3, 2017. The cat had severe road rash on the left hind leg and was very underweight. Cat has since been neutered, road rash has healed, he has a slightly irregular gait and is normal weight. Issue is he bites. He will simply walk up to one of us and start pawing and biting our lower legs and/or toes. We are fed up with it. He has two tree towers for scratching with perches and he has toy mouses. So he has options.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the siamese?

No that about covers it. We don't hold him on hour lap and we pet him less and less because of the biting. We never pet him on his head because that is his least favorite place.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns with your cat.

What is his name?

How old is he?

I would encourage some set play times. Also having items handy next to the couch if he is apt to pounce when you are sitting quietly. It can be helpful to carry a long toy to redirect him if he pounces when you are on the move.

Offering a slow release food device or confining the cat away at high risk times could also be considered.

Some kittens will tolerate short pats but not longer sessions, so rewarding calm behavior with favored treats can be useful. Over time many cats will become more tolerant but some never learn to like extended cuddles.

The area of the body that is stroked can make a world of difference in how the cat perceives the attention. I agree that avoiding his head if it is not preferred by him is wise.

Juggy, the vet estimated he is approximately 3 years old.

O​k, other play distraction techniques I can recommend include:

Try providing an alternative for play, e.g. a bucket of ping pong balls to toss in that location, or crumpled paper (crumple the paper and then throw - the cat will be distracted by the crumpling sound too).

I would focus on other toys, and perhaps also feeding a main meal during the "witching hour".

Some may recommend the use of a water bottle to spray but generally punishment doesn't work very well because it's not consistent (for example the water bottle is unlikely to always be accessible) and positive reinforcement is more effective.

A​ Feliway diffuser can also be helpful to reduce anxiety and promote calm behavior:

https://www.chewy.com/feliway-30-day-starter-kit-plug-in/dp/121785?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets-Hard%20Goods&utm_term=4585513243894955&utm_content=Feliway

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat