Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

I have a 13 year s and 10 month old cat. She had 3

Hello there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a 13 year s and 10 month old cat. She had 3 operations to remove a tumors on her abdomen. The last one was about 3 weeks ago. Now she was tachypneic. So i briught her to a local vet. She had xray and cbc done. Results from. Xray shows possible fluid or cellular infiltrates. And the cbc shows an infection. 37 was her cbc and the normal was 16 i think. She was given convenia and prenisone injection and orescribed with lasix and orednisone pills. Is conevnia safe for old cats?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: her name is nami
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nami?
Customer: namihas several seollen lymph nodes or tumors now after 3 weeks of operation

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. To answer your question, yes, convenia is a very safe drug and most likely would be ok to give. It is an antibiotic, and based on what you describe, sounds like an appropriate medication for your cat. Do you have additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have read in other forums that it stays in the body for 65 days. Will it affect my cat considering her age of almost 14 years? Also i am sending to you her xray if you can kindly interpret.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attachment does not seem to work

Hello, thank you for that information. It should not have any more effect on her because of her age. Unfortunately, the quality of the radiograph is very poor and I cannot see it well enough to interpret

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry about that. Anyway, do you think that her tumors on her abdomen which were removed three times but always returns, have something to do with her tachypnea or current condition?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has now 5 tumors after being tumor free for 3 weeks after surgery

That is a good question. Do you know what types of tumors these were and exactly what organs they were on? They could be contributing. For example, if they are placing pressure on her chest or if she has masses that have spread to her lungs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a superficial tumor, movable. One tumor was removed from her breast. I suspect her of having breast ca with lung mets now. Considering her age, what treatment do you suggest,doc?

That is very possible. Was the tumor analyzed? I honestly would not advise cancer treatment without first confirming the tumor type. If it was breast cancer, we typically remove the entire mammary chain on the side affected in cats. Then we may or may not add chemotherapy depending on the patient. Without examining her myself I can't say what protocol would be most appropriate unfortunately. But if not done already, I would consider having the masses analyzed if they are available to do so

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, is furosemide and prednisone appropriate for her tachypneia and tachycardia? What other measures must i do to give her a comfortable life. The vet said that we are only doing palliative treatment now since she is already old and he is afraid that she might succumb if further stress is to be given to her. I alteady bought an oxygen set up for her 2x aday regimen.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Btw, she was prescribed a prescription diet k/d. But i can only force feed it to her. She likes fancy feast better. What do you think of it?

I cannot say 100% for sure without evaluating her myself, but yes those medications sound appropriate in her case. As far as palliative care, this to me means she gets spoiled! I would feed her whatever she wants to eat. Eating is important and is a sign of quality of life. Canned food is better than kibble for her kidneys, but if fancy feast is the canned food she likes I say let her eat it! Also, in terms of other measures, oxygen certainly may help. If your vet is concerned about inflammation in the lungs, there are also inhalers that may help, you could discuss that with them

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you give me an example of that inhalers?

Sure, I would ask them about a fluticasone inhaler

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the info, i will send you a short vid of her.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The video is not working. Sorry. Anyway thanks for the answers dr drea. I was concerned with convenia because of the many articles in the net that seems to say that it is not a good choice of medication. But i am quite relieved with your assurance. Godbless you

I would be careful with the internet, it can often serve to just scare us! It's clear she is very loved and you are doing all you can for her. She's a lucky girl! All the best, ***** *****

Please remember to rate my answer as this is how I receive credit for my time and please do not hesitate to reach out with additional questions or concerns. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do doc, btw i am a physician too, for humans.

Oh, well, thank you for all you do for human health than! Let me know how she does!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea