Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How much is this going to cost me? Thanks, but I'll do a…

Customer Question
How much is this...

How much is this going to cost me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Thanks, ***** *****'ll do a little research myself first.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

My 16 year old male cat is pooping outside of his box, near my husband's things. I'm at my wit's end.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Scooter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scooter?

He's healthy as a horse, eats well, there are three boxes in the house. But if he doesn't get his way, he'll poop.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Is it just one particular area he is pooping in? This can often be a sign of stress. HAve there been any changes at home recently, such as a change in working hours or introduction of a new pet etc?

It's usually on or near anything that is my husband's.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Any changes at home recently?

No.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Is he otherwise well in himself?

Oh yes.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Peeing or pooping outside the litter box is termed inappropriate elimination and is often a sign of stress. There can be many factors and it can be difficult to identify a particular stressor, however things such as changes in work hours, moving furniture, introduction of a new family member or even a new cat in the neighbourhood can cause stress.

In situations when we cannot identify a specific stressor, or if we cannot eliminate a particular stress, there are some measures we can take to help. Use of plug in pheromone diffusers such as Feliway can help. These should be placed in the area where Scooter spends most of his time for best effect. There is also a feliway spray that can be used if he is defecating in specific areas.
There is also a supplement called Zylkene which can be effective and is best used in combination with Feliway.
It is a milk protein extract and works by promoting a feeling of contentment - think a young kitten with a belly full of milk after a good long feed.

You have several litter trays and this is a good start. Given that scooter is 16 years old, arthritis can affect their ability to get in and out of the litter tray. The litter type can also have an effect for older cats as some litters may be more uncomfortable for these guys to walk on, so trialing a change of litter type such as paper or wood based litter, can help also.